In America, there are 2,211 accredited, four-year degree program colleges and universities. Last year on May 1, after college applicants had sent in their deposit for freshman year, there were still 265 colleges that had more space available for freshman. There were 278 places for transfer students in 2nd and 3rd years of university. Think of it! You are not too late to apply to university in America and you have until May 1 to apply.
It is almost never too late for Chinese high school graduates who have taken an English proficiency test, the IELTS or the TOEFL. If you have taken the SAT or the ACT or have AP exam scores you are ready to apply. If you have not yet taken the IELTS or the TOEFL, then take one or the other of them! It doesn’t matter which one you take. Both are acceptable for U.S. admissions. The more international test scores you can show, the better you can document your academic record. If you have not taken any SAT, ACT or AP exams, then there are still colleges and universities who may accept you without them, depending on your English proficiency and high school record.
Let’s say you don’t have any exams whatsoever! Not even an English proficiency exam. If you can speak English, read, write, and listen in English, you can apply for a Conditional Acceptance. That is, the university will accept you and put you in an English learning program until you learn enough English to study in a regular classroom. BEWARE! You may have to stay in that English study for ten years without ever getting into the college courses if you can’t learn English. And it will cost you as much as going to the university. The better plan may be to stay in China, live at home, and learn English well enough to get into a less competitive university, say with a 5 or 6 on the IELTS or a 61 TOEFL score, and then apply to the American universities.
For those Senior 3s who have at least an English Proficiency score in IELTS or TOEFL and have not yet applied to college, or who applied only to the most selective in the USA, where the whole world is applying, here are a list of sixteen colleges and universities who have a late application date. Most are for May 1 and a few are for June. Look for these colleges on the Web to read more about each of these colleges. Choose six or eight that sound best to you and apply now.
1 Anderson University, South Carolina
2. Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana
3. California College of the Arts, San Francisco, California
4. Central Florida, Orlando, University of, Florida
5. Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina
6. Hendrix College, Conway, Arkansas
7. High Point University, High Point, North Carolina
8. Hollins College, for women, Roanoke, Virginia
9. Lindenwood University, St. Charles, Missouri
10. Lyndon State College, Lyndonville, Vermont
11. Manhattan College, Riverdale, New York
12. Nevada, University of, Reno, Nevada
13. New England College, Henniker, New Hampshire
14. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
15. South Maine, University of, Portland, Maine
16. Philadelphia University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania